Thursday, June 21, 2012

ice cube painting

Today M and I tried painting with ice cubes.  It was a great activity for this week since the weather has been so hot.


To make the "paints" I mixed water with food coloring and then froze it in an ice cube tray.  Putting sticks into the cubes keeps the mess down (less on hands) and makes it easier to paint with the cubes because you don't need to hold them.  Popsicle sticks would be good.  I didn't have any so I broke wooden skewers in half and used those.

M loved this activity.  He had no problem holding onto the sticks and had good control over the cubes. He didn't want to stop and I had to pry them out of the hands when they had melted too much. 

When we do this again I'd do it outside in the shade.  Although with a younger toddler like M the high chair was great for containing the mess.  I'd also keep some of the cubes in the freezer and take them out as the others melted.  On a hot day they melt quick!

M's age when we played: 12 months, 1 week


No comments:

Post a Comment