Tuesday, August 21, 2012

hot wheels lamp

I've needed a lamp for M's room for a while but I haven't been able to find anything just right.  His room started with a bear theme.  As he's accumulated more stuff it's turned into a bear room with trains and sports and dogs and all kinds of other boy things.  At first I was looking for something that either had a bear on it or went with the mostly red/brown/beige colors in his room.  I widened my search and still didn't find anything I liked so I turned to Pinterest.  I've been trying a lot of DIY ideas from Pinterest lately and found some cute lamp ideas.  I decided to go with this one since M loves trucks and cars.  This would be an awesome project to do with a boy in first or second grade as a fun measuring activity.  I did our version slightly different from the original:


I went to Target and bought the lamp with the black shade and the matchbox cars.  We had some yellow felt left over from our felt board project.

I cut the yellow felt into one-inch strips and placed them one-inch apart on the lamp shade.  Our lamp shade was 28-inches around.  I attached them with hot glue.  

The cars were more difficult to attach.  At first I put hot glue on each wheel and stuck them on.  It didn't hold so I tried coating the whole bottom of the car in hot glue.  I held each car on for about a minute.  This seemed to work well.  There was one orange race car with a thin bottom that was more difficult than the others but eventually it stayed.  

I realize our blog has been missing a lot of "activity" type posts lately.  I have a few things planned that we'll try and share here soon.  But I love these projects and want to share them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment